Note: Saint Louis City and County separated from each other on 22 August 1876 by a vote of the people of St. Louis. Today these are two separate governmental entities. St. Louis City is not in St. Louis County. This webpage lists links to genealogy resources for both the City and County.|
Online St. Louis Genealogy Records and Indexes
St. Louis Birth and Death Records Indexes Online...
St. Louis Marriage Indexes and Records Online...
- St. Louis Death Records Indexes...
- St. Louis Birth Indexes and Records...
- St. Louis and Missouri Marriage Indexes
Online Missouri Census Records (including St. Louis)...
- St. Louis Marriage Records (Licenses) Digitized from Microfilm at FamilySearch
- FamilySearch has St. Louis marriage licenses on digitized microfilm. They are not fully indexed, but digitized handwritten or typed indexes are included and can be browsed online. Click on the links below for more information from the FamilySearch catalog...
- St. Louis City (and some county): Marriage Records of St. Louis and St. Louis Co., 1806-1965 (To browse through the digitized microfilm rolls, click on the camera icon next to each listing.)
- St. Louis County: Marriage Records, 1877-1928; Index to Marriages, 1881-1933 (St. Louis County Recorder of Deeds) (To browse through the digitized microfilm rolls, click on the camera icon next to each listing.)
- *Some* of the above marriage licenses may be indexed online here: Missouri, County Marriage, Naturalization, and Court Records, 1800-1991 at FamilySearch; includes images of the marriage licenses
- Finding Aid: List of St. Louis Clergy from the St. Louis County Library. Sometimes St. Louis marriage licenses will give the minister or priest's name without naming the church. This PDF may be helpful in finding the church where the couple was married.
St. Louis City Directories...
St. Louis Yearbooks...
St. Louis Cemeteries Online...
- St. Louis City Directories, Gazetteers, Rosters, and Guides, 1821-1922 some years missing; includes links to the two collections listed below, along with other items.
- St. Louis City Directories: Assorted Years, 1863-1960 at Ancestry/requires payment (includes St. Louis city directories for 1929-1933, and other years; coverage varies; some years not included; some directories may not be complete)
- St. Louis City Directories at Fold3 (requires payment) Fold3 has 61 St. Louis City Directories from 1863-1923 (except 1873).
- St. Louis City Directories 1860 and 1890
- Kennedy's 1860 St. Louis City Directory
- St. Louis Social Registers, 1907, 1912, 1914, and 1915
Online Missouri Military Records...
- Online St. Louis Death Records, Indexes, Obituaries and Cemeteries includes links to burial indexes for the Archdiocese of St. Louis Catholic Cemeteries; Jefferson Barracks National (Military) Cemetery in St. Louis; Jewish Cemeteries; Bellefontaine Cemetery, Gatewood Gardens Cemetery and more; also has a link to the (fee-based) St. Louis Genealogical Society's St. Louis Area Cemetery Burials database
St. Louis Newspapers...
- WWI and WWII Draft Cards and Other Records - See:
St. Louis Church Records and Indexes...
- For obituaries, see the first link ("Online St. Louis Death Records, Obituaries Indexes and Cemetery Burials") in the first section above
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1874-2020 from Newspapers.com (fee-based). Newspapers.com also has the St. Louis Globe-Democrat, 1853-1963; and other St. Louis newspapers (various years).
- St. Louis Republic Newspaper, 1900-Jan. 2, 1906 from Chronicling America/The Library of Congress
- St. Louis Argus African-American Newspaper, 1915-1926
- St. Louis Globe-Democrat Clipping Files Names Index c. 1930-1986 indexes some news stories; does not include obituaries, but some deaths are included; from the Saint Louis Mercantile Library
- Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers includes the St. Louis Missouri Argus (May 22, 1835-July 4, 1840), St. Louis Missouri Gazette (July 26, 1808-March 6, 1822), and St. Louis Missouri Republican (March 20, 1822-December 23, 1828)
- For some St. Louis and Missouri historical newspapers online see the Missouri section at: Historical Newspapers and Indexes On The Internet - USA
St. Louis Adoption and Orphanage Records...
- St. Louis City Church Records at FamilySearch Some of these records are online for browsing. When you get there, click on the church records you want, then look for the camera icon next to the listings (under "film notes") and click on it. A film reel icon means those records are on microfilm and not yet online.
- Missouri, Church Records, 1827-2004 from FamilySearch includes indexed records for these St. Louis churches: Frieden's United Church of Christ, St. Marcus United Church of Christ, Salvator Evangelical Church, and Evangelical United Church of Christ (Webster Groves). Coverage varies by church.
- A-Z List of St. Louis Congregations List of churches/parishes in St. Louis from the St. Louis Genealogical Society. The society has online records for churches on the list that are highlighted in blue. You must be a member of the St. Louis Genealogical Society (fee-based) to access the online records.
- Archdiocese of St. Louis Parish Finder (current) You may be able to find the Catholic church your ancestors attended using this map if you know the address where they were living. You might try census records or city directories to find an address. Be aware some parish boundaries may be different today and some older churches may no longer be active.
- Index to the History of the Archdiocese of Saint Louis
- Missouri, United Methodist Church Records, 1856-1970 at Ancestry/requires payment; includes these St. Louis churches: Cabanne UMC, Christy Memorial UMC, Scruggs Memorial, and St. John's UMC; coverage varies by church
- Local History Indexes of Churches, Synagogues, and Religious Organizations in St. Louis
- Indexes for Some St. Louis Church Records includes...
- Centenary United Methodist Church records, 1871-1969 (indexes)
- Saint Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Des Peres, index to baptisms and deaths
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, index to baptisms, 1848 - 1909, and marriages, 1848 - 1920
- St. Ferdinand Catholic Church, Florissant, Missouri, Index to baptisms, 1855-1897
- Catholic Orphanage Records
- Pre-1917 St. Louis City Deeds of Adoption
- The St. Louis City Recorder of Deeds has a "Deeds of Adoption" Index that covers c. 1880s through 1916. You can contact them for a search of this index. There may be a fee. See: Pre-1917 St. Louis City Deeds of Adoption
St. Louis History and Biography...
St. Louis Naturalization Records...
Property and Land Records, and House History Information...
- Homeless Children/Orphans in the 1880 and 1900 Censuses
Ordering St. Louis and Missouri Vital Records
When ordering copies of vital records, fees and restrictions may apply.
Archives, Libraries and Societies
Ship Passenger Lists
Nearby: Illinois Genealogy