Online Illinois Naturalization Records
Online Illinois Naturalization Indexes and Records by County
- Illinois Federal Naturalization Records, 1856-1991 at Ancestry/requires payment; for naturalizations done in federal courts; includes digitized images of the naturalization records from the Chicago branch of the National Archives; coverage varies by court
- Illinois: County Naturalization Records, 1800-1998 from FamilySearch/free (with registration); few records after 1945; some images may not yet be indexed; does not include all counties; coverage varies by county; does not include Cook County/Chicago - see the Cook County section below.
Online Finding Aid/Index for Some Illinois Naturalization Records
- Carroll County Naturalization Indexes
- Clinton County Naturalization Records Index
- Cook County and Chicago...
- Digitized Chicago District Court Naturalization Petitions: Illinois, Northern District Petitions for Naturalization, 1906-1994 at FamilySearch These are digitized naturalization petitions from the District Court for the Chicago Division of the Northern District of Illinois.
- Cook County, Illinois Naturalization Database: Declarations of Intention Index, 1906-1929
- Also see the "Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts" listed below. It includes Cook County beginning with 1871.
- Chicago Voter Registration Records 1888-1892 may be helpful because they sometimes give the year and place of Naturalization (one of four Cook County Courts) for many of the foreign born voters (who had become citizens). They also give country (or state) of birth and the address of the voter. The time frame is significant as the 1890 census was destroyed.
- Note: Naturalization records for Cook County begin in 1871. The Cook County Naturalization records prior to that were destroyed in the Chicago fire.
- DeKalb County Naturalization Certificates 100 years or older Requires registration. You can order copies of the records for a fee.
- Some Hamilton County Naturalization Papers, 1863-1905 (includes images of the documents)
- Iroquois County: Naturalization Records Indexes includes: Index of Declarations of Intent, 1867-1931; and Alphabetical Listing of Naturalized Citizens, 1868-1896
- Jefferson County Declarations of Intention and Naturalization Petitions
- Macoupin County Naturalization Records
- Madison County...
- McLean County Naturalization Records from the McLean County Circuit Clerk
- Montgomery County...
- Morgan County: Some Naturalization Papers On File in the Morgan County Illinois Courthouse
- Ogle County Court Naturalization Papers Index, 1872-1906
- St. Clair County...
- Saline County Declarations of Intention
- Sangamon County Naturalization records, 1874-1906 from FamilySearch; digitized images of the records from microfilm
- Sangamon County Naturalization Records, 1862-1864
- Stark County, Circuit Court Naturalization Records, 1892-1913 from FamilySearch
For Illinois there is a soundex index available on microfilm from the
National Archives (Microfilm Publication M1285). It is also indexed online at Ancestry and FamilySearch. For information see...
Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois, and Immigration & Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950
It covers the following Illinois counties: Boone, Bureau, Carroll, Champaign, Cook, DeKalb, DuPage, Ford, Fulton, Grundy, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Jo Daviess, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Knox, Lake, LaSalle, Lee, Livingston, Marshall, McHenry, McLean, Mercer, Ogle, Peoria, Putnam, Rock Island, Stark, Stephenson, Tazewell, Vermilion, Warren, Whiteside, Will, Winnebago, and Woodford. The 1840-1950 time frame varies by county.