Finding Passenger Arrival Lists & Immigration Records
for Charleston & South Carolina
Compiled by Joe Beine
Pre-1820 Charleston Immigration Records|
For researching before 1820 see...
Charleston Passenger Records 1820-1924...
PASSENGER LISTS ON MICROFILM 1820-1828: National Archives (NARA) Microfilm Roll #M575-2 contains passenger arrival records for Charleston, South Carolina from 1820-1828; this can also be found at the Family History Library (FHL) on microfilm roll #830232. The FHL microfilm can be ordered for viewing for a small fee from any Family History Center. The title of this record is... Copies of Lists of Passengers Arriving at Miscellaneous Ports on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts and Ports on the Great Lakes, 1820-1873 M575 roll 2.
An index to this roll of microfilm (M575-2; FHL #830232) can be found in the following four sources...
- ONLINE DATABASE: Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959 (requires payment - part of an Ancestry subscripton) includes Charleston 1820-1828,
and Port Royal 1865
- BOOK: Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Charleston 1820-1829 by B. Holcomb; GPC 1994, 188 pages, indexed; most passengers listed were from Britain & Ireland. This book is also available on the CD-Rom listed below...
- CD-ROM: Early South Carolina Settlers, 1600s-1800s (CD #517) contains the searchable text of the following books...
- Index to Wills of Charleston County, South Carolina, 1671-1868
- Jury Lists of South Carolina, 1778-1779
- Index to the 1800 Census of South Carolina
- South Carolina Naturalizations 1783-1850 (7500 persons listed)
- North Carolina Land Grants in South Carolina
- Indexes to the County Wills of South Carolina
- Passenger Arrivals at the Port of Charleston, 1820-1829
- A Compilation of the Original Lists of Protestant Immigrants to South Carolina, 1763-1773
- Heads of Families at the First Census of the United States Taken in the Year 1790: South Carolina
- Scotch-Irish Migration to South Carolina, 1772
- Warrants for Land in South Carolina, 1672-1711 (3 Volumes)